Sunday, July 22, 2012

How to break into Human Resource Management


How to break into Human Resource Management?
I graduate from college May 2010 with a Business degree and a concentration in HR. Although, my school requires and internship to graduate I may not be able to find a job afterwards. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am not a traditional student. I am older and have several years of military experience. (Army veteran)
Other - Careers & Employment - 3 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
I guess the internship is going to be your stumbling block if you can't find a job to be able to get the internship is any part of your military career applicable to the internship?


2
I built a strong career in temporary staffing. I started as the recruiter and worked up to branch manager. Many managers in the staffing industry transition into HR...it's especially easy because in staffing, you have regular contact with every HR manager in the business. Good luck to you!


3
Join your local Society for Human Resource Management chapter, and go to their meetings to network. These are some of the best people to meet to learn more about the field and openings in the field. Some chapters actually announce job openings at their meetings others have job boards for their members. Also, if your school has a student HR group, join that as well. Are you working anywhere now? If you are, would they be willing to let you job shadow someone in the HR department? Being a non-traditional student is actually something that works in your favor, in my opinion. HR typically is a field for more mature workers, as HR handles more sensitive issues and has to be concerned about confidentiality. Good luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment